I discovered this delicious idea for an easy and healthy dinner during one of my regular visits to the Ballard Sunday Market in Seattle. I knew these veggie quesadillas had to be good — the line for them was outrageous. And they were good. Shockingly good for how simple they are. You know what they say, though… start with high quality, fresh ingredients and its hard to go wrong.
This veggie quesadilla recipe is perfect for those nights where you don’t know what you want to make, and you just want something easy and quick (but still healthy!) It’s also really flexible. You can use whatever veggies you have on hand. I prefer the mix below, but feel free to experiment based on your own tastes.
Easy and Healthy Veggie Quesadillas
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup carrots, thinly sliced into spheres
- 1/3 cup sliced chioggia beets
- 1 cup kale (stems removed)
- 1 quarter-inch slice sharp cheddar
- 1 flour tortilla
- Tabasco sauce
- Salt, to taste
1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large pan on medium heat. Saute onions, carrots, and beets until lightly browned and just starting to caramelize. Add kale and cook until kale begins to wilt, approximately 2 – 3 minutes.
2. Remove veggies from heat and place aside.
3. Layer half of the tortilla with sharp cheddar. Pile veggies on top of cheddar and sprinkle with salt and Tabasco (to taste).
4. Fold tortilla in half and return to pan. Toast for 2 min (until crispy), then flip and toast other side. Remove from pan and serve.