So it’s Tuesday afternoon and here I sit with a massive headache. Today is Day 2 of The Visit (from my mother and grandmother). Here is a brief recap of some of the things that have occurred in the past 24 hours:
- The first thing my mother said upon seeing me was, “You’re too skinny.”
- On Day 1, they locked themselves out of the apartment they were staying in.
- They arrived at my place on Day 1 without the keys I had given them.
- I was at work when they arrived (and without my keys, anyway, as I had given them my set. Thankfully, my ex let them in).
- They “accidentally” taught Gavin the phrase “You’re stupid!”
- Gavin has repeated said phrase approximately once per hour.
- My grandmother decided she was unable to walk the five blocks from the apartment she is staying in to get to my place, so she ordered a taxi.
- While shopping this afternoon in a store just minutes from my office, my grandmother loudly initiated a discussion about her bodily functions.
- I have heard the same three stories ten times. Each.
- The entire Visit has been peppered with melodious bickering between them.
Right now, they are at a coffee shop. I am enjoying the respite.